ABC Of Weddings: L is For Lolly Buffet

by | ABC Of Weddings, Bride, Catering, Reception

COMMENTS

L

Ladies in waiting are often found at the Lolly tables Laughing about The Love of The Lovebirds!

~

suzebride

Image from Knottie Suzebride

I completely adore the idea of having a table of sweet sugary treats for guests to help themselves during your reception.

Lay Them Out

Bladet15sota4 Blomster1295Kanist1295 Blanda400Bladet17

Ikea Bladet Vase, $15, Ikea Sota Jar $4 Ikea Blomster Vase $12.95, Ikea Karnist Vase $12.95 Ikea Blanda Bowl $4, Ikea Bladet Bowl $17

Glass (or really any material) jars of every shape and size are the essential part of a lolly buffet. Apothecary jars are a great choice with their decorative look but all kinds of glass containers can be bought really cheaply at discount home stores such as Ikea. Scour vintage stores, opshops and Ebay.

The key to making the table look fantastic is to load it up, so have tiers for the jars (using boxes or crates under fabric) and jars of different heights and sizes.

To keep the table looking ‘full’ use a table runner over a table cloth and fresh blooms. Also consider added features like a chocolate fountain, a fairy floss maker (manned by someone to keep it running smoothly!)

Fill Them Up

Working out the amount of lollies to put in your jars is a hard task- how much per person? Instead of taking a per person approach I suggest looking at the space you have to work with as a whole and fill it up! Part of the fun of it comes through the visuals, a table groaning with lollies is going to look much better than a few jars on a huge table. Generosity is the key!

Lollies are pretty easy to find- if you have access to someone with an ABN you’ll be able to check out grocery wholesalers. Otherwise the net can hold many hidden gems such as Confectionary Warehouse, My Lollies, Goody Goody Gumdrops, Tasty Temptations and even Ebay have plenty to choose from. Otherwise look at lolly shops in the yellow pages- out of the way places often have bulk bags of goodies!

Red

Jaffas, raspberries, strawberry kisses, redskins, heart lollipops, red liquorice, bullseyes, Lindt balls,

Yellow

Banana lollies, lemon drops, honey bears, Lindt balls, whichety grub lollies, honeycomb

Green

Snakes, pineapples, jelly beans, spearmint leaves, green licorice, Lindt balls

Blue

Lindt Balls

White

Marshmallows, Sugar sticks, Milk bottles, Peppermints

Pink

Marshmallows, Breast Cancer M&Ms, Musk sticks, Teeth Lollies

Brown

Caramel buds, Jersey caramels, Chocolate anything! , Chocolate covered nuts, Chocolate covered honeycomb, Coca Cola Lollies

Multi Coloured

Candy bracelets, Snakes, licorice allsorts, gummy bears, skittles, fizzy lollies, conversation hearts, gobstoppers, M &Ms, smarties, jelly babies, frogs, jelly beans, jordan almonds, foil covered chocolates, boiled lollies,

Loading Up

icescoop icescoop2

Ice Scoop from Barware, Ice Scoop from Chef.com.au

To assist guests, consider getting some cute candy scoops to add to the festival fun. Old fashioned ones are hard to find in Australia but can be bought from American candy stores or catering supply stores.

Taking Home

The Lolly or Candy buffet can double as your favours so it’s fun to personalise the packaging to your wedding. Choose something fun and childlike or something that matches your wedding decor. Cello or paper bags can be decorated with a sticker. Jars, noodle boxes and paper cups can have a label and ribbon added.

The Finished Product

Here are some great candy buffets to give you inspiration for your own…

candybuffetbyPolkaDotBride

Sweet Shop from fuzzydream at theknot.com, Candy Buffet from Save The Date Event Planning, Dessert Buffet from Martha Stewart, Buffet from knottie classy1, white candy buffet from Martha Stewart, Cookie Buffet from Martha Stewart, imessaround’s Polka Dot Candy Buffet, Mrs Bell Pepper from Weddingbees Buffet, green and brown buffet from Martha Stewart.

Extra Hints

Be sure to let your guests know about the sweet treats to help them get through the night. Have the MC announce it or provide the containers for their goodies at each place setting with a note to help themselves.

Consider locating the buffet in a separate room to allow guests a breather from the dance floor and a quiet place to refuel!

Place a sign on the table advising guests to fill up the bags. Use a photoframe or a banner as a decorative touch.

You may consider your other favourite sweet treats like cupcakes, nougat, marzipan or even a different kind of buffet.

You might like to do a

• Popcorn Buffet
  • Biscuit Buffet (perhaps with miniature bottles of milk)
  • Tart Buffet
  • Cake Buffet
  • Ice cream buffet

COMMENTS
  • AlannahRose says:
    March 12, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Yum, what a delicious idea! You never cease to inspire me. 🙂

• Jessica Lynn says:
    March 12, 2008 at 11:26 pm

thank you thank you thank you for this post! It contains all the info that I will ever need for my candy buffet!

• Julie says:
    March 13, 2008 at 1:30 am

Wow! I gained 5 pounds just by reading your post today! What a cute idea! And I love the popcorn buffet idea, too!

• DrewB says:
    March 13, 2008 at 3:43 am

I LOVE that you call it a lolly table! I’ve never heard that, but that’s what I’m going to start calling them. And as a photographer, I must say I love it when my brides have “lolly tables”. They are the best!

• Pink Frosting says:
    March 13, 2008 at 6:39 am

These tables are the best. Such a beautifully researched post. Thank you! We’ve recently seen a trend for lolly tables at showers – baby showers, bridal showers – so sweet and so much fun!

• Ms Polka says:
    March 13, 2008 at 8:13 am

Thankyou girls!
    Drew- I think in Oz we’ve always called candy ‘lollies’ though it seems to be shifting a bit (but lollies fit with L anyway!)

Thankyou for the lovely comments!

• Top 5 Wedding Blog Posts of the Week! — Our Wedding Plus says:
    March 14, 2008 at 1:03 pm

[…] one of these together for you reception then I recommend you check out Polka Dot Bride’s post ABC of Weddings: L is for Lolly Buffet.  It’s a very detailed post about how to put together a candy bar for your […]

• Australia Entertains » Goody Goody Gumdrops says:
    March 31, 2008 at 11:49 am

[…] and what a perfect favour treat if you’re having a Lolly Buffet at your next […]

• Zoey D says:
    April 16, 2008 at 8:00 am

I love this post! I just happened across your blog somehow (not sure how!) and I have been meticulously reading through each post. What great information! I am in the states so some of the resources I unfortunately cannot use but the ideas I can CERTAINLY use.

So what about PURPLE candies (lollies)?

• Zoey D says:
    April 16, 2008 at 8:01 am

oops! I put my blog in wrong. I corrected it in case you want to borrow any pics.

• Polka Dot Bride says:

Sugared almonds
    Skittles
    Foil covered chocolates

That might get you started! There’s quite a few US bulk candy websites 🙂

• Stevie Dags says:
    December 29, 2008 at 10:41 pm

I have been trying for ages to find the proper New Jersey Caramels, they are the ones that have the white frosting on top, everyone seems to forget that nowdays what the originals were like and so many are just done so cheaply, I would pay to get the proper New Jerseys again, can you help??

Regards
    Stevie!!

• Priceless Weddings Online Store says:
    January 20, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Great to see some class.

• having a bar of it… « Him & Her Wedding Ideas says:
    October 21, 2009 at 8:06 am

[…] Chinese food containers, paper bags, set up like an old fashioned corner shop (Check out the L For Lolly Buffet entry for extra help on creating your […]

• Joe says:
    November 30, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I had a lolly bar at my wedding in June last year. Considering we didn’t have any kids at the wedding, I did wonder how it would be received. It was an absolute hit. And it meant that as people were having pre dinner drinks they could hit the lolly bar between canapes. And everyone had a nice bag of treats to take home too. Well worth the effort!!!

• Lolly Buffet says:
    April 6, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Just found this site and they look great for lolly buffet’s. I think it is really new as their website is not all finished yet. Love this idea!!!

• Polka Dot Bride’s Favourite Posts of 2008 | Polka Dot Bride says:
    June 16, 2010 at 11:58 am

[…] was such a great challenge to write- I loved pouring over ideas for everything from bouquet ties to how to create a lolly buffet to different ways of using a monogram! See the full alphabet […]

• Having A Bar Of It… | Polka Dot Bride says:
    June 23, 2010 at 12:09 pm

[…] Chinese food containers, paper bags, set up like an old fashioned corner shop (Check out the L For Lolly Buffet entry for extra help on creating your […]

• Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar says:
    October 9, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Lolly buffets look fantastic! They are all the rage at the moment with my clients.

• I'M ENGAGED! My wedding journal - LOTS of pictures <3 HELP NEEDED, PAGE 2! - Bride & Beyond Forum (Page 2) says:
    September 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm

[…] Lolly buffet!!! I'm really keen to have a lolly buffet at our reception however i'm not sure if the venue would allow it. I'm going to try and sell it to them as it being a bit of a 'party favour' for guests. So I could get little noodle boxes or something for people to fill up and take home. There's a confectionary warehouse about a half an hour drive from where we live so we could get a lot of the lollies from there, even maybe supermarkets, etc if they have any specials While I was searching for a bit of inspiration, I came across this website, it's amazing and thought it might give you all a bit of inspiration as well http://www.polkadotbride.com/2008/03…-lolly-buffet/ […]

• Laura says:
    June 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

We are having a lolly buffet but are hiring our jars from http://www.sugarhgh.com.au for $70. Wedding is not until October, but I will let you know how it goes 🙂

• Jane says:
    October 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I love these ideas, It has really give me some great inspiration.

Are you a robot or a human? Let us know by answering the below! *