DIY Project Birdseed Favors

by | Bride, DIY

COMMENTS

Birdseed favor DIY project002 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

This afternoon, we have Mel’s sweet birdseed favors! Mel originally found these for sale on Etsy by a US seller, but knew they wouldn’t clear customs into Australia so she set out to make them herself!

I made these to use as wedding favours for my upcoming wedding. They’re super easy to make and super cheap!

Birdseed favor DIY project004 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

What you’ll need:
Silicon molds (I used heart shaped cupcake molds)
Edible gelatine powder
Wild birdseed (Find a mix for your local birds – I used a mix for Aussie parrots)
Metal bowl
Twine and Scissors

What to do:

Birdseed favor DIY project005 DIY Project Birdseed Favors
Boil up some water – put about 100mL in a metal bowl and sprinkle in 25g of gelatin and stir until it’s completely dissolved.

Birdseed favor DIY project006 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Birdseed favor DIY project007 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Birdseed favor DIY project008 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Let it cool for a few minutes (don’t let it set – if it does just heat it over the stove again) then mix through 400g of birdseed.

Birdseed favor DIY project009 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Birdseed favor DIY project010 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Press a heaped teaspoon of the mix in the mold and flatten.

Birdseed favor DIY project011 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Birdseed favor DIY project012 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Place a knotted loop of twine on so the loop sticks out the top and cover with more birdseed mix and press in to push out all the air bubbles.

Birdseed favor DIY project013 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Place in the fridge overnight to set, then carefully push out of the molds and hang in a dry place so the gelatin completely dries out and hardens. Whalla!

Birdseed favor DIY project002 DIY Project Birdseed Favors Birdseed favor DIY project001 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

To display, hang some on a branch in a pot and bag the rest in little stamped muslin bags. Perfect!

Birdseed favor DIY project003 DIY Project Birdseed Favors

Mel also made this sweet little sign for the favor table

Thank you for sharing your favors on Polka Dot Bride Mel! You can check out Mel’s blog The Crafty DIY Bride for more treats and her Etsy store Paper & Ribbons! Mel will be back to visit us again soon!

COMMENTS
  • Yolanda
    Yolanda says:
    February 18, 2010 at 3:17 pm

these are adorable! and the sweet bags to put them in, just gorgeous :)

• Lisa
    Lisa says:
    February 18, 2010 at 8:36 pm

LOVE your blog – what great ideas!!

• Paradisus Weddings
    Paradisus Weddings says:
    February 19, 2010 at 1:37 am

Great idea. Thank you for your blog!

• Heidi@trulyengaging
    Heidi@trulyengaging says:
    February 19, 2010 at 2:03 am

What a lovely idea! ~and personalized to the birds in the area…. love it! The sweet bags give it a sort of vintage feel too.

• Wedding Rumors
    Wedding Rumors says:
    February 19, 2010 at 7:08 am

This is such a great idea, that peaple will actually use!

• Melly says:
    February 19, 2010 at 9:18 am

I had a question on my blog about the muslin bags:

The muslin bags were found online in this Etsy store:
    The seller is really lovely and will do a custom listing for however many you need.

I stamped the bags myself using brown ink and stamps from the “short and sweet” set by Stampin Up!

• Nancy says:
    March 22, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I love this idea! Would be great for Christmas Party favors too, to give the birds a little treat in the winter.

• Tax Day Mood Lifter | Four Winds Weddings and Events
    Tax Day Mood Lifter | Four Winds Weddings and Events says:
    April 16, 2010 at 4:48 am

[…] {heart} these DIY birdfeeders from Polkadot […]

• Cristin
    Cristin says:
    May 7, 2010 at 4:54 am

I tried this and after a few days they started to grow mold on them. Has anyone else had this problem?

• Mel says:
    May 7, 2010 at 7:52 am

You have to let them dry out completely, hanging somewhere dry and warm. Once they’re dry store in an airtight container. I let mine dry for about 2 days hanging in my lounge room. A few months on and they’re still perfect.

• Future Bride-to-be says:
    May 19, 2010 at 4:25 am

I just have to say… THANK YOU! I have been looking for a recipe for these since I spotted them on etsy for MY wedding as well and nothing seemed to be working. This appears to be exactly what we’re looking for, I’m so glad you were willing to share your recipe and where you got the bags. :)

• Mel - The Crafty DiY Bride says:
    May 19, 2010 at 8:11 am

I actually have 35 seed hearts left over already bagged up – if anyone’s interested:

-Mel

• dot
    dot says:
    May 28, 2010 at 1:58 am

This is great! I am planning a wedding in the summer and I just love this idea! thank you so much for sharing!

• emma
    emma says:
    June 9, 2010 at 12:59 pm

thanks so much for posting this!

but is the gelatin really safe for our feathered friends? i’d hate to feed them bad things :(

• Leah
    Leah says:
    August 24, 2010 at 6:17 am

Where did you get the little thank you bags?

• Mel - The Crafty DiY Bride says:
    August 24, 2010 at 7:50 am

Hi Leah – I purchased the muslin bags from a store on Etsy:

• Mel - The Crafty DiY Bride says:
      September 17, 2010 at 7:59 am

Hi Brianna – I don’t see why you couldn’t put them on racks. As long as it’s really dry and there’s enough air circulating around them it’s fine. They should dry within 24 hours.

• Brianna
    Brianna says:
    September 17, 2010 at 1:40 am

I’m a high school student-one of the “clubs” I’m in is planning a fall dance-I’m in charge of the favors for our event. :) I think this would be gr8-wondered-could the ornaments be placed on wire racks to dry (instead of hanging)? I’m limited for space and the racks can be stacked & air still circulate around them.

• Mel - The Crafty DiY Bride says:
      September 20, 2010 at 9:07 pm

• Dorie
    Dorie says:
    October 5, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Has anyone tried using a dehydrator to dry them?

• Learning Time – Letter N | Pensacola with Kids
    Learning Time – Letter N | Pensacola with Kids says:
    January 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

[…] a bird seed cake.  Examples here, here, or […]

• Caitlin
    Caitlin says:
    February 8, 2011 at 4:39 am

Hi There,
    Did anyone have an issue with these getting mouldy?
    Maybe it’s because I put them in a plastic bag after they hardened….

• Mel - The Crafty DiY Bride says:
    February 8, 2011 at 8:29 am

Re: getting mouldy.

I stored them in an open basket in a cupboard until I needed them. Any hint of moisture will be taken up by the gelatine and make them mouldy.

I hope you can make another batch! :)

• Sarah
    Sarah says:
    March 10, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hi Mel,

Just wondering what size of the little bags you used from the etsy store, and what size the little heart molds were? Thanks!

• Mel @ The Crafty DiY Bride says:
    March 10, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi there,

The muslin bags I used were 1 3/4″ x 4″ but I’ll haev to check on the mould sizes. They weren’t much smaller than the bags so I found I needed to make the shapes not too thick or they wouldn’t fit easily.

• Sarah
    Sarah says:
    March 12, 2011 at 3:07 am

Thank you! Love the idea, so original and inexpensive. I’m totally using it for my July wedding.

• Meet the Polka Dot Bride - Project Wedding Blog
    Meet the Polka Dot Bride - Project Wedding Blog says:
    March 25, 2011 at 3:36 am

[…] Birdseed favor DIY […]

• Meet the Polka Dot Bride
    Meet the Polka Dot Bride says:
    April 12, 2011 at 2:29 am

[…] Birdseed favor DIY […]

• Heart-shaped Birdseed Favors « kieferfamily
    Heart-shaped Birdseed Favors « kieferfamily says:
    February 21, 2012 at 3:05 pm

[…] of October, at a very outdoorsy place, and being the very outdoorsy kinda girl she is, she found a super cute idea for an (outdoorsy) wedding […]

• Jessica Williams
    Jessica Williams says:
    March 3, 2012 at 5:07 am

Where do you get Edible Gelatin?

• Mel says:
      March 3, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi Jessica – edible gelatin is just the gelatin you buy at the supermarket in the baking aisle.

• joey
    joey says:
    March 22, 2012 at 5:17 am

hi there! Can anyone tell me how long these will hold up? I want to make them for my girlfriends wedding a month ahead of time. any advice?
    thanks!
    joey

• Mel says:
      March 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi Joey,

I made these more than one month ahead of time and they were still perfect about 12 months afterwards. Just make sure you dry them very very well!

• Nancy
    Nancy says:
    March 24, 2012 at 6:16 am

After they are dried would it work to put them in the freezer or is there a chance of them getting moist and molding? Where are the heart shaped cupcake liners sold? Has anyone price these out? They sell for $1.40 on Etsy. Thanks so much!

• Mel says:
      March 24, 2012 at 10:23 am

Hi Nancy,

I just stored them in a cupboard with some of those freshness packets you get in your shoeboxes or medications. They will most likely get moist in the freezer.

I bought the latex cupcake liners in the Reject Shop for $2 a packet. You’d most likely find them in any cookware store as well.

• Trish
    Trish says:
    April 16, 2012 at 10:59 am

LooKs heaps awesome! Lovely idea
    How much is 25g of gelatin approx worth in teaspoons?
    Thanks

• Polka Dot Bride says:
      April 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Hi Trish- I just searched and it says 5 teaspoons. Always best to measure with scales though! (Or look for a pack that is measured in grams)

• {Wedding Wednesday} Unique Wedding Favor Ideas « Some Kind of Lovely Ride
    {Wedding Wednesday} Unique Wedding Favor Ideas « Some Kind of Lovely Ride says:
    May 31, 2012 at 8:25 am

[…] that are edible (who doesn’t like candy or chocolates?) and/or eco-friendly. (I dig these DIY bird-seed favors & the idea of seeded paper for day-of things like menus or programs. How cool for my guests to […]

• Superhero
    Superhero says:
    January 2, 2013 at 4:18 am

Aren’t parrots vegetarian and gelatine made from animal bones and hide?

• Mel says:
      January 2, 2013 at 7:29 am

Good point there – but all of the nutrients, taste and scent will be coming from the seeds and it’s better than using glue :)

I have seen some people use peanut butter instead as the adhesive. While that’s a great alternative if you’re making them for your own home, the shapes would not be as strong if you’re packaging them up as gifts.

• seldombites says:
    February 11, 2013 at 6:24 pm

What an awesome idea. Environmentally friendly, saves clutter (people usually have too many nick-knacks already) and great for dieters (no chocolates). Perfect.

• Charlotte woods
    Charlotte woods says:
    May 22, 2013 at 7:37 am

I would like to say thank you for this perfect idea. I made bird seed hearts for my parents Ruby Wedding anniversary. Everyone loved them especially my parents.

• Lauren
    Lauren says:
    June 29, 2013 at 7:42 am

I just made mine about an hour and a half ago and they seem like they will be very flimsy. Is this because I didn’t pack them tight enough (they were sticky so this was hard for me to do), or because they haven’t dried fully, or because my gelatin:bird seed ratio was off?

Has anyone tried baking these in the oven at all to help them dry? (It’s humid here so I didn’t know if they would dry properly)

• Bridget
    Bridget says:
    August 16, 2013 at 6:08 am

how many pounds of birdseed for about 180 favors?

• Eternal Saga Hack
    Eternal Saga Hack says:
    March 24, 2014 at 12:59 pm

I phone has been a trend setter in terms of business and funky phones
    for last few years and since its launch, it has been a rage in all age groups of society.
    The unlocked version is the same as those that have already hit the
    market, but they do not come with an SIM card.
    One of the best features found in the device is its 8 megapixel camera that further comes blessed with useful options.

Also visit my site; Eternal Saga Hack

• immortalis Hack
    immortalis Hack says:
    March 24, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Except for the i – Phone 4, which will probably continue to be sold as a low-end handset.
    Web pages render much quicker as well and there is no lag or slowdown when
    loading apps and navigating menus. Pay – Pal is used
    as the means of making the payments and after you have paid,
    an download facility is provide to you instantly and after this
    you will be facilitated by unlocking the iphone easily.

Look into my site – immortalis Hack

• Luxe Lodge | Letterpress & Lace
    Luxe Lodge | Letterpress & Lace says:
    September 13, 2014 at 8:49 am

[…] photo credits: tablescape from New Hampshire Bride photographed by Mark Davidson designed by Kate Parker // bouquet from Honey of a Thousand Flowers photographed by Sean Flannigan // escort cards from Designs by Ahn // ceremony arch from Style Me Pretty photographed by Steve Steinhardt designed by Beth Helmstetter Events // wood menu from Magnolia Rouge photographed by Paula O’Hara // invitation suite from Grey Likes Weddings designed by Alexa Pulitzer // bridal party from Grey Likes Weddings photographed by Carrie Patterson Photography // antler aisle markers from Style Me Pretty photographed by Steve Steinhardt Photography designed by Holly Flora // cocktails from The Knot // birdseed favor from Polka Dot Bride […]

• “Green” or Environmental Wedding Favors