When organising a wedding, there seem to be a thousand things to think about. And that means a thousand decisions to be made!
One of the most exciting decisions is, in our humble opinion, choosing your wedding jewellery! Apart from being those finishing touches to your outfit, it’s one opportunity when you can purchase jewellery without guilt - well, too much of it anyway! So what are the things you should consider when choosing your bridal jewellery?
1. The style of your dress. If you have a high-necked dress, or a dress with lots of detail near the neckline, you’ll probably want to steer clear of any jewellery around your neck – it could look all just too busy. Instead, some earrings and a bracelet would probably be the better accessory.
2. The colour of your dress: if you’re going for a more traditional colour, such as ivory or white, there’s nothing like a pearl necklace or pearl pendant to enhance it. If you’ve opted for a coloured dress such as blue, or even red, then why not choose matching jewellery in that same colour?
3. Photographic truth. Once you’ve found some bridal jewellery you love, make sure you get someone to take some photos of you wearing it – using your digital camera or mobile is fine, they don’t have to be taken by a professional photographer. Have a look at the photos: are you happy with them? Does the jewellery look too much? One of the best things my friend ever said to me, when seeing me dressed in my wedding dress in a ‘trial run’ was that I needed to wear drop earrings, to fill in the space between my ears and dress (see point 1!). She was absolutely right.
4. Be (a little) practical. While you want to spend money on your wedding day, it’s a good idea to buy jewellery that you’ll wear again – and again, and again. Apart from being fiscally responsible, you’ll have happy memories every time you wear that jewellery again!
5. Be comfortable. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing the jewellery you’ve chosen, don’t settle for something that isn’t right. You’ll only spend the day worrying about it, and fiddling with it! Instead, find something that you absolutely love. Just in the same way that you’ve found someone you absolutely love!
Happy shopping and remember – your bridal jewellery is a perfect expression of you!
Ms Gingham says: Great advice by Pascale!
About Pascale: Pascale Helyar-Moray, Founder and Director of StyleRocks has fourteen years of financial services experience as a marketing and communications professional working with blue chip companies in Australia and the UK. Maternity leave forced her to re-examine her career options and in looking for a business she could run from home, created StyleRocks in order to harness her lifelong passion for jewellery.