These super cute earrings are very easy to make and fit in perfectly with this summer’s penchant for bright colours! Who doesn’t like bright colours anyway? You can make them in any colour to match your bridal party and are a lovely handmade gift that won’t have you in a DIY frenzy!
You will need:
- “Sculpey” modelling clay in your chosen colour. I just got some from Spotlight. Darker colours are lovely too for a more elegant look.
- Flexible silicone mold. These molds are available in lots of different shapes so you can get creative.
- 3mm Surgical steel posts and backs. Very important for sensitive little (or big) ears!
- Super glue. (I tried E-6000 jewellery glue but found that it didn’t go the distance)
1. Warm the modelling clay between your fingers to make it pliable. Work with a walnut sized piece.
2. Break a smaller piece off and push it into your mold. Make sure you take off any excess clay so that the mold is fully visible.
3. Gently push the formed heart out of the mold onto baking paper. Bake in a 130°C oven for about 5 minutes. This time will depend on your oven. I highly recommend that you test one first because they are easy to burn (believe me, I know!). Allow the earrings to cool for about 10 minutes and then glue the backings on.
4. Check your glue instructions for drying times and there you go! A beautiful keepsake from your wedding or a gorgeous gift for a special little girl!
* Little Ms Gingham has been enjoying these immensely and they wear well even in chlorine and at the beach.
Photography by Ms Gingham