I timed this post so that everyone will have seen the episode (it only aired recently in Australia) After the wedding of Cristina and Burke, I thought it only fitting to write about the recent weddings on Grey’s Anatomy that caused a stir amongst fans.
Izzie’s well planned wedding for Meredith and Derek turned into a surprise wedding for her and Alex. With Meredith and Cristina in purple gowns, bouquets of roses and the stained glass church windows behind them, impromptu vows mirrored one of Alex’s patients speeches.
“Today’s the day my life begins. All my life I’ve been just me, just a smart mouthed kid. Today I become a man, today I become a husband.” Today I become accountable to someone other than myself. Today I become accountable to you, to our future… No matter what happens, I’ll be ready, for anything, for everything… Today, Izzie Stevens, our life begins and I for one can’t wait.”
Then of course, there was the sticky note wedding. Where between Derek and Meredith it came down to a piece of paper. Promises of loving each other when they’re old and smelly, of never running away, even when they hate each other were written on Meredith’s “Something blue” sticky note.
- High tea – a central table covered with white or yellow cloth, beautiful silver or china tea pots, creamers, cups and saucers, tiered cake stands filled to the brim with lemon tarts, macaroons, petit fours, fruit tarts, sandwiches and scones with jam and cream. A variety of teas and champagnes and fruity white wines
- Vintage floral or plain coloured crockery, old silverware holding lots of white, apricot and creamy yellow roses spiked with soft grey and spring green foliage, grouped fat white candles, silver candelabra, velvet yellow table linen with apricot napkins, fastened with a celadon green silk tassel, soft green glassware
- Seaside wedding – with blues, lilacs, soft teals, sand and white
- Groups of old glass bottles, some filled with flowers and leaves, some filled with vintage yellow and white buttons, some left empty, as centrepieces, white crockery, yellow and white candles, yellow silk table runners edged in crystal beading, embroidered organza overlays in soft yellow
- Baskets, raffia, and wood, darker yellow checks or stripes, lots of white in accessories, pussy willow branches with their soft furry grey buds, dodder vine, earthenware vases, plates in white and various shades of yellow, brushed stainless steel, wrought iron
- Pretty vintage, designer or patterned fabric incorporating velvet yellow as cloths edged in braid, tassels or left plain, yellow or deep cream crockery, garlands of flowers around doorways, vintage silver mirrors, in a high central arrangement hanging from the mid point of the ceiling. Ribbons could be attached to this and taken in a swagged fashion to the extremities of the room – think a tented ceiling without the expense of the metres of fabric
- Wedding cake iced in velvet yellow and picking up the pattern from your table linen, the lace in your dress, buttons – whatever you see as the most special element of your reception décor, as the embellishment