Perfect Peonies

by | Bride, Flowers

COMMENTS

Peonies are a beautiful flower, one of my favourites!- their fluffiness and limited season makes them a popular choice for many brides and rightfully so. November in Australia brings peony season! (May to June for those in the USA!)

Photo from Kate Hill Flowers

The peony is named after Paeon, a student of Asclepius who was the Greek god of medicine and healing. Used as one of the natural emblems of China, the peony is also the state flower of Indiana.

Photo from Vogue Flowers via Australia Entertains, photo from Pronovias via Brides

Peonies are gorgeous in their beautiful colours- soft pinks, creams, whites, deep rose pinks, reds and even white-to-pink shades.

Photos from Pronovias via Brides

If it isn’t Peony season but you still want the fluffy look- try David Austin roses, Cabbage roses, Juliet roses and you can even try tightly bound carnations!

COMMENTS
  • Shelley P says:
    November 26, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Oh, bestill my beating heart! Peonies are one of my very-favourites, too. I have a frilly-knickered, voluptuous bunch on our dining table right now and shall indulge in them for the whole of their way-too-brief season. I have only seen pink ones before. The cream/white ones in your pics are a revelation!

• Jenny says:
    November 27, 2008 at 2:18 am

I love Peonies. My bouquet will be full of these beauties. And my girls too. They smell so divine!

Thanks for such wonderful pix!

• The Flirty Girl says:
    November 27, 2008 at 5:11 pm

So GORGEOUS! My Auntie had Peony bushes in her backyard. They were so gorgeous. Those photos just make me want to say “Ohhhhhhhhhhh Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.”

• Couture Boudoir Photographer - Critsey Rowe says:
    December 1, 2008 at 11:53 pm

My my! I love peonies! I wish I could of had them for my wedding but they were not in season. Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing!

• Leia says:
      November 18, 2018 at 10:19 pm

My wedding was in May so my florist imported them from overseas for my bouquet

• Do flowers have a season? « Florassentials–Wedding Flowers and Custom Floral Arrangements says:
    March 12, 2010 at 1:30 am

[…] the in-season flowers will have better pricing. Peonies are fairly reasonably priced in their season, which is during the spring and early summer months. […]

• Vickie Parsons says:
    May 17, 2010 at 11:48 pm

My daughter’s bridesmaids had white peonies and yellow spider mums and the groomsmens label flower were peonies they were absolutely gorgeous

• Peonies Wedding says:
    January 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love the pink peony wedding bouquet!

• natalie says:
    December 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Does anybody know when cabbage roses are in season in Australia??

• Dion Beckenham says:
    January 15, 2014 at 11:16 am

My fiancé and I will be getting married in july. Is there any way possible to have Peonies in July? We live in Brisbane, Australia.

• Polka Dot Bride says:
      January 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Hi Dion

There’s a chance the florists you choose may be able to fly them in for you from overseas, but it would be at a significant cost. Peony season is late October-November so it’s a fair while off your wedding!

You could also try David Austin Roses, Sweet Juliet roses, cabbage roses or even ranunculus if they’re starting for the same look

• Rebecca says:
    February 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I am getting married on December 14 2014. Will white peonies still be an option without having to fly them in ? Thanks

• Daniel Peaece says:
    January 5, 2015 at 11:55 pm

Hello. I am getting married in At the end of March in Central Queensland and was wondering if any peonies would be available for that time of the year?

Regards,

Daniel

• Polka Dot Bride says:
      January 7, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Hi Daniel,
      Best bet would be to ask your florist, Peonies are usually in season from late October to Early November (or thereabouts) so they won’t be in season but your florist may have another source or be able to import them.

• Christine Gellie says:
    June 20, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Hi,

I am a wholesale peony rose grower in Northern NSW. I’m so glad you all love peonies because they are my passion and I love them too. We grow peonies from mid November to the first week in December.