Rainy Days and Wedding Vows

by | Bride, Polka Dots, Wedding Inspiration

COMMENTS

I spotted this cute idea last month on Earth Friendly Weddings. The bride’s aunt bottled the rain from the couples wedding day into this sweet jar and engraved it with their wedding date.

Which leads me to the fact that rain isn’t so bad on your wedding day!

Here’s why I love a rainy wedding day:

– You get to wear gumboots

Photo by Erika Gerdemark Photography

Think you’re limited to black? Why not find some red polka dot gumboots, or bright lime green ones?

Try Rosie Roo Designer Wellies for some extra fun prints

– You can have fun with umbrellas

Photo by Simply Timeless Photography

Black and white umbrellas can make for stunning wedding photos! I love the drama of all black or all white but if you want some fun, pick umbrellas in the same shade as your bridesmaids dresses or a fun print.

– You get the gorgeous moody storm clouds in your photos

Photo by LifeImages

Other fun things about rainy weddings:

• No one will be hot and sweaty in a suit
  • Reflections in puddles
  • Rainbows
  • The smell of rain, the clean earth beneath you. The rain washes all the dirt and grime away. Think of it as a fresh start! What could be better on the first day of married life?
  • It’s good luck! In Italian “Sposa bagnata, sposa fortunata” or ” A wet bride is a lucky bride” . Superstition? Maybe- but I like it!

Photo by Heather Cole Photography

If it’s going to rain on your wedding day – don’t stress! You can make plans for alternative venues, notifying guests etc. But some of the happiest stories I’ve heard are of couples whose day was filled with rain drops. You know what they realised? That their sunshine comes from within! This is what makes the memories of your wedding day.

COMMENTS
  • Kristy Goldman says:
    November 13, 2008 at 5:59 am

This is a great post! It really helps brides see the bigger picture and I love that idea of capturing some of the rain from the day! How special!

• MsUnreliable says:
    November 13, 2008 at 6:14 am

The bottled rain is such a beautiful idea! And I love stormy clouds, they’re perfect for B+W photography!

• Melissa says:
    November 13, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Not only did it rain on my wedding day but it started snowing about an hour and a half before the wedding started, and didn’t stop til we got back to our house that night!!! The only day it snowed the whole year!!! Too bad I didn’t get good photos of it. Love the bottled rain idea though!! I could have kept my snow!

• Jenna says:
    November 14, 2008 at 1:19 pm

The Aunt bottling the rain reminded me of how my Uncle wrote down the exact time that the minister said man and wife. I thought it was a really sweet gift to give. I really really wanted rain on my wedding day, and I didn’t get it (even in Seattle, WA!)

• Sar says:
    November 14, 2008 at 4:43 pm

How lovely! I had a winter wedding, and was thinking that rain WOULD be on the cards. However, despite a shower or two early in the morning, it was a rain free day. I would have loved a couple of umbrella shots (especially as my BM and I desperately hired 10 black umbrellas for a ridiculous amount of money the night before the wedding!!)

• Peonies and Polaroids says:
    November 15, 2008 at 1:35 am

What a gorgeous idea the bottled rain is, I wish I’d thought of that on our wedding day! We have some great rain shots which really make me smile!

• little house on Green says:
    November 15, 2008 at 4:03 pm

I love the bottled rain!!

We *almost* had rain on my wedding, the day started dark and gloomy, and I was wishing it to rain. But it cleared up to become a clear and crisp day/evening, no rain. I wouldn’t have minded, I had purchased some cute green and pink polka dot rainboots just in case 🙂

• Polkadot Bride says:
    November 15, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Ahhh! LOVE IT!

• Reelyn says:
    November 16, 2008 at 2:01 pm

This post is awesome! It is true, brides should make the most of their weather and instead of feeling sad that it is raining, use the opportunity to break out cool rain boots and umbrellas. I kind of think the rain is romantic..especially in photos afterwards.

Coincidentally enough, I was recently filmed during a trend segment in my office about winter weather dressing.. and one of the things i had to touch upon was how the use of an umbrella is underestimated when it comes to fashion & accessories – i thought my umbrella rant sounded ridiculous until i saw your post!!!

• Wedding Photographer in Utah says:
    February 10, 2010 at 5:04 am

That is some impressive photography in this post. Taking pictures when it’s cloudy can give so much more emotion to a picture!

• Krasnodar says:
    May 17, 2010 at 6:46 am

Great photos! Really MOOD, not glam

• {Inspiration} Wet Winter Umbrella Ideas « Shaadi-Esque says:
    November 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

[…] Umbrella ceiling, 2. Invitation, 3. Wellies, 4. Couple on bridge, 5. Cocktail umbrellas, 6. Umbrella […]

• Casamento na chuva | Blog de Casamento says:
    July 17, 2013 at 3:33 am

[…] Wed, My Wedding, Simply Blue Weddings, Fotografos de America, Wedd Book, A Circular Life, Polka dot Bride, Wedding […]

• Why Rainy Weddings are NOT the Worst « Libby James says: