Yolanda and Ben – The Celebration

by | Australia - Western Australia, Bride, Inspired Weddings,

COMMENTS

yolanda-and-ben019

Yolanda and Ben organised a tea party for their guests while they had their photos taken. Yolanda and her mother made table cloths in vintage inspired fabrics and scoured second hand stores and op shops for vintage cake platters.  Yolanda’s mother made plenty of cakes and slices for guests to enjoy with freshly brewed tea.

yolanda-and-ben020

yolanda-and-ben021

Yolanda’s pop- a professional magician, passed away a few years ago. In honour of him  Yolanda and Ben hired a magician Magic Rob to entertain their guests.

yolanda-and-ben022

yolanda-and-ben023

Choosing a cocktail reception, Yolanda and Ben knew they wouldn’t get much time for eating while mingling with their guests. Instead, Ben’s mother and sister organised a private picnic for the newlyweds that they could enjoy while having their photos taken.

Yolanda says “An added bonus was that it provided an opportunity to just sit together, without being the centre of attention, and take in the moment of having just got married.  It was a really special time that we both cherish, especially as the reception whizzed past and we were often engaged with different guests.  It also made for some gorgeous candid photos.”

yolanda-and-ben024

yolanda-and-ben025

yolanda-and-ben026

yolanda-and-ben027

yolanda-and-ben028

yolanda-and-ben029

yolanda-and-ben030

yolanda-and-ben031

yolanda-and-ben032

Yolanda and Ben created their own lolly station for guests (including their lolly bags from Poppies For Grace and homemade ones)

yolanda-and-ben033

yolanda-and-ben034

yolanda-and-ben035

A table was set up with wedding photos of Yolanda and Ben’s parents and grandparents.

yolanda-and-ben036

yolanda-and-ben037

Guest favors of cigars and matchboxes were made by Yolanda and Ben. (More favor details can be found here).

yolanda-and-ben038

yolanda-and-ben039

yolanda-and-ben040

Tables were scattered with tealights in glass jars, lavender and Geraldton wax flowers (prepared by Yolanda and her best friends the night before the wedding) and paper cut outs from the Do’s and Don’ts For Husband and Wives (1913) books used in Yolanda and Ben’s engagement session photos. Everyone saved and donated glass bottles to Yolanda and the lavender was picked and dried by Yolanda.

yolanda-and-ben041

yolanda-and-ben042

An Italian Torte from Corica Pastries was decorated with fresh blooms from Budding Stars and was served in lieu of wedding cake. The reception was filled with laughter and dancing.

Yolanda tells us “We danced to Kate Miller-Heidke’s “Space They Cannot Touch“.  I had given a copy of this song to Ben when we were first together as it captured how I felt about him and us.  He loved it and it was the obvious choice.  We practiced the night before and had grand visions of twirling around, but without a dress rehearsal, things were very different on the night, especially as I forgot to bustle my dress!  But we still got a couple of dips in there!

Because the song meant so much to us and we’d spent countless moments cuddled up listening to it over the years, it felt very natural to be dancing to it on our wedding night.  Guests commented on how we looked like we were in our own little world”

yolanda-and-ben043

Instead of the usual group shots, Yolanda and Ben organised a photo booth with lots of props so guests could ham it up in front of the camera.

Yolanda’s final words really sum up the wedding “Marrying my husband, that’s what kept me sane as my attention to detail can be my down fall, I just kept thinking, that despite all the things I’d put effort into and wanted to happen, if all that happened was that I married Ben, it would be OK cos that’s what it was all about.”

A big thank you to Yolanda and Ben for sharing their wedding day and the thought behind their details with us today on Polka Dot Bride! Also thank you to Samm Blake for sharing the beautiful imagery!

Photos by Samm Blake

Credits

This post features the following wedding vendors. If you've been featured below, we'd love to get to know you. Click here to join Polka Dot Bride.

COMMENTS
  • Emma says:
    February 17, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Love love love this wedding. I’m actually getting married in Guildford next year and Samm is my photographer so I was really excited to see this post.

Yolanda – I’ve looked at some of the suppliers you used and would love to hear any feedback you have on them.

• Bec says:
    February 17, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Absolutely stunning guys!! Love it! And the pics are devine!!!!! A day you will cherish forever. =D

• Magda says:
    February 18, 2010 at 1:18 am

The woman’s dress looks interesting, are there better pictures of it?

• Kate Miller Events says:
    February 18, 2010 at 4:51 am

That dress is incredible! Do you know the designer – or is it custom?

• seesaw says:
    February 18, 2010 at 6:03 am

so many gorgeous details.

• Deb D says:
    February 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

What a gorgeous wedding! I love the use of floral fabrics and the fact that Yolanda was not wearing a standard white gown – it was such a lovely difference. 🙂 And wow I could rave all day about the wonderful vintage feel of the whole wedding, photos, favours, etc.

• Bride+Groom Store says:
    February 18, 2010 at 3:33 pm

What a beautiful wedding -with so many pretty details, captured perfectly by Samm! So great to see such a magnificent wedding featured from Western Australia!

• West Aussie Weddings | Getting Hitched says:
    February 18, 2010 at 3:46 pm

[…] wedding (+ part 2) featured in Polka Dot Bride looks so beautiful and laid-back, and their stationery is kickass and […]

• Janine says:
    February 19, 2010 at 12:14 am

What a beautifully different wedding, so many gorgeous touches, and some gorgeous images to remember it all by.

• Rock 'n Roll Bride · Thursday Treats – 18th Feb 2010 says:
    February 19, 2010 at 6:05 am

[…] Velentines (amazing image!) ? Kiss the Groom is one year old ? Yolanda & Ben – part one and two. Love that […]

• A Tea Party Wedding | The Sweetest Occasion says:
    February 19, 2010 at 8:03 am

[…] I saw Yolanda and Ben’s wedding on Polka Dot Bride yesterday I fell instantly in love. You know by now that I’ve been a […]

• A Tea Party Wedding | Weddinic - Wedding Articles says:
    February 19, 2010 at 8:30 am

• Now Riviera Cancun says:
    February 20, 2010 at 6:17 am

The cigar’s on the table with inscription is a great idea.

• Yolanda and Ben – The Dress | Polka Dot Bride says:
    June 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm

[…] me, many of you fell in love with Yolanda’s wedding dress from her wedding to Ben we featured last week. Happy to oblige your desires for more images, the lovely Samm Blake sent over some more photos for […]

• Inspired Memories: Yolanda « Polka Dot Bride says:
    July 15, 2010 at 5:01 pm

[…] wedding to Ben was such a hit when we posted it! (See their wedding on Polka Dot Bride). From her handmade, amazing dress to their creative DIY […]

• Kylie says:
    June 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Where did you purchase the little white lolly bags?