Today I have a double tutorial for you… or perhaps since both items can be used two ways I should even say quadruple?
At our ceremony I was looking for a non-traditional altarpiece (OK so there was technically no ‘altar’ but you know what I mean!) and wanted to add some texture and natural materials without using fresh flowers. I couldn’t find anything that fit the bill so, as with many of our decorations, I set about making them myself.
First up, here’s how I created the twig balls:
You will need:
- Grapevine balls
- Moss wire
- Dried or rubber flowers (I used dried orchids)
- Wire cutters
- Round-nosed pliers
I purchased these materials here but you can try craft shops, floristry wholesalers and eBay.
1. Cut the wire into lengths approx 12cm. Curl one end around using the pliers and feed the straight end through the centre of the flower.
2. Repeat with remaining flowers.
3. Thread the moss wire randomly through the grapevine ball.
4. Twist the wired flowers onto the ball.
And for the potted branches…
You will need:
- Branches (I collected mine from a local park after a storm)
- Round cake decorating foam in various sizes
- Plaster mix
- Paint in a similar colour to the pot
- Small piece of cardboard (I used a cereal box) and duct tape
1. If your pot has a drainage hole, you will need to block it. Start by placing a piece of cardboard over the hole.
2. Seal the cardboard over the hole using duct tape.
3. Place the smallest foam circle in the base of the pot.
4. Continue with larger pieces of foam until it reaches about 15cm from the rim.
5. Arrange the branches into the foam.
6. Fill the pot with prepared plaster and allow to set. Paint surface of plaster and allow to dry.
Finish by filling the top of the pot with moss wiring on flowers to the branches using method above.
This project certainly took a little time, but it was well worth the effort. Not only were we able to re-use them at the reception, I’ve since used them as party decorations and currently as my Christmas tree!
Wedding photos by Luke Simon Photography
Tutorial photos by Alicia Parsons
Ms Gingham says: I really, really love these tutorials! I’m imagining those twig balls with fairy lights strung through them too! Gorgeous!!!
I am Alicia Parsons, the Atypical Type A. I live in Adelaide, South Australia in a modest townhouse with my new hubby Ryan (aka The Man). I am the owner and graphic designer behind Akimbo, which specialises in quirky invitations, announcements and greetings.
Get more fantastic DIY inspiration from Alicia here.
Want more? Check out these posts from the archives: