Today’s recipe is a fresh, zingy and easy finger-food option for the Mexican lovers out there (Ms Polka, I’m looking at you!). Mr Herringbone has provided a perfect bite-sized accompaniment to any event.
Who doesn’t love combining meat and liquor? Some of the greatest meals have the two sitting side-by-side in harmony. Drunken Chicken, Coq Au Vin, Bourbon Ribs – the list is endless. So here is my take on the old standard with a twist (of lime!).
1 x kilo chicken wings
1 x orange
1/2 cup of lime juice (approx. 3 limes)
1 x large red chilli
1 x clove of garlic
1/2 cup of tequila
salt & pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 220C
2. De-bone the chicken wings to form a chicken lollipop of sorts. We have made a handy (but amateur video to walk you through how to do this!
3. Do them all and set aside.
4. The marinade! Finely dice the chilli and the garlic, and combine in a bowl with half the juice of the orange, the lime juice and the tequila.
5. Place the chicken into the marinade, cover and let steep for up to 3 hours (place in the fridge during this time).
6. You will notice that the chicken starts to cook in the marinade, and will turn from pink to white.
6. Once the chicken is marinated, heat an oven-proof roasting tray (one that can withstand the heat from a stovetop), add a tablespoon of olive oil, and brown the chicken.
7. Once browned on both sides, place the backing dish into the oven for 20 minutes (or until cooked).
8. Serve up! You can either serve these delightful meat lollipops in a group on a large plate, or as individual canapés. It’s up to you!