So, you’re getting married and afterwards looking to either a) chill out and relax somewhere marvellous; b) have an adventure-filled, fun-packed rip-roaring holiday; c) hit some killer wine and food trails somewhere cool and cosy with a warm fireplace OR d) a mix of all of the above. Look no further people, Queenstown New Zealand is your answer!
Set in one the most stunning mountainous areas of New Zealand’s South Island, Queenstown is surrounded by snow-capped mountains, beautiful valleys and of course the beautiful Lake Wakatipu. Trust me, you can’t go wrong. So let’s get into it, 5 reasons you won’t regret choosing a Queenstown honeymoon.
1. Skiing. Seriously, if you haven’t skied or boarded before, NZ is great place to try it out. If you’re staying in Queenstown you can shuttle up to one of the 5 local resorts to enjoy a day of fun and excitement that only winter sports can provide, and seriously, the views are TO DIE FOR!
2. The wine! Oh the wine! The Central Otago region is renowned for producing some of the world’s best Pinot Noir among other varieties. A day tour to the wineries is a must! Sit back, enjoy the views and try every single wine (and cheese) the local wineries have to offer. The best part? Lunch in a wonderful restaurant and you don’t have to drive home, bliss!
3. Onsen Hot Spas. This place is seriously off the scale romantic. A shuttle bus will take you from downtown Queenstown up to the Hot Spas at Arthur’s Pass, where you can book a private spa for the two of you (the spa also caters for groups) for an hour or two. Enjoy a romantic candle-lit soak, perhaps a few strawberries and glass of champagne. After a full day of trekking or skiing, what better way to end it? One of the most awesome experiences around.
4. Adventure Sports! You name it, it can be done in or around Queenstown! Summer, winter, this place is a buzz with activity of all kinds. Let me make a short list….
Skiing, boarding, heli-skiing (yes, they drop you in the powder on the top of a mountain somewhere and you carve down yourself, whoooo!), sky-diving, parasailing, hiking, white-water rafting, bunjy jumping, canyon swing, zip trek (a cool series of zip-lines that traverse the side of a mountain), horse-riding, kayaking, quad biking, cycling, and of course the famous Shotover Jet, who speed along the Shotover Canyon and give you the thrill of a lifetime by driving the boat so close to the rocks and in a few inches of water it will give you a heart attack, awesome!
There are plenty more activities to discover in and around Queenstown. It all depends on how adventurous you are. Trust me, you will have trouble deciding what to do next! See point 3 for what to do after a day full of said activities.
5. The Food. Oh the food!!!! There are some serious places to eat and drink in and around Queenstown. If classy, fine dining pushes your buttons then try Amisfield Winery on the shores of Lake Hayes. They are locally renowned and have won multiple awards. The view up to Coronet Peak is pretty special too. I would also recommend a trip out to Gantleys for an evening of fine dining. Taxis from town will take you to both places.
For something a little more relaxed, there’s The Cow. It’s kind of a local secret, but not so secret. Amazing warm atmosphere, great pizza and pasta and a neat bar, this place is located in Cow Lane, hence the name. If you don’t mind rubbing shoulders with a few fellow travellers and locals, this place will rock your world.
There are many, many more establishments in Queenstown serving great food and atmosphere, but you simply CANNOT go there without visiting Fergberger. I kid you not, this is the best burger you will EVER eat. You will locate it easily with the queue snaking out the door and around the block, but trust me, it’s worth the wait. They cater for vegetarians too, so everybody’s happy. Yay. Seriously though, go to Fergberger, you will thank me later.
So there you have it. I could also go on about how gorgeous the lake is and the many, many other activities available for you to enjoy in the area, but why not come and see for yourself! I would be happy to live in Queenstown if I had my way, it’s a very special place. Flights are available direct into Queenstown airport or you could fly into Christchurch or Dunedin and hire a car or a camper-van and get truckin! ROAD TRIP!
All photos by Wendy Maley Photography
Ms Gingham: I cannot believe how much information Wendy has packed into this post. I’m seriously wanting one of those burgers now!!!
Wendy Maley Photography: Hi I’m Wendy and I’m a photographer. I love it, in fact so much that if I had an extra limb it would be a camera.