Choosing an engagement ring can be a difficult decision, particularly for women who don’t wear a lot of jewellery. With so many styles, variations and vendors to choose from, deciding on a ring she’ll love not only when the proposal comes, but in 50 years time can be tricky.
This light-hearted guide by independent jeweller SH Jewellery is designed to give soon-to-be fiancés a starting point, pairing five common engagement ring styles with a variety of personality traits and lifestyle preferences to help you choose an engagement ring that’s right for her.
Solitaire Engagement Rings
Perhaps the most understated yet recognisable design of all, solitaire engagement rings epitomise class and style. Strictly reserved for the most sacred of ceremonies, there’s no mistaking a solitaire design for anything other than an engagement ring.
Identified by a single statement diamond resting on a simple band, the refined solitaire design allows for variation between both the band and setting, choosing between a four-claw, six-claw, straight band or tapered band. These small design preferences can produce very different stylistic outcomes.
Signs a Solitaire Engagement Ring is Right For Her…
- She is indecisive and easily overwhelmed by choice – every time McDonald’s adds a new menu range, a queue forms behind her in drive thru.
- She enjoys Friday nights on the couch with a glass of riesling and Breakfast at Tiffany’s – even if it takes her an hour to decide between that and Bridesmaids.
- She appreciates discipline, stability and routine – when you put the tomato sauce in the fridge instead of the pantry, her left eye develops an involuntary twitch.
- She prefers classic and reliable vehicles renowned for their safety features – the Jaguar MK5 Sedan (available from Triple R Luxury Care Hire) wedding cars are top of her list this week.
- Her wardrobe contains a rainbow of grey and black – sophisticated and versatile, she can wear these colours anywhere, any time, any occasion.
Timeless Engagement Rings
Timeless engagement rings are the perfect metaphor for marriage; a celebration of unfading love that stands the test of time… No matter where the sauce ends up.
With the centre diamond shouldered by smaller diamonds, this timeless design allows for greater variation and added sparkle, while referencing the classic origins of a solitaire ring.
Signs a Timeless Engagement Ring is Right For Her…
- She’s not afraid of change and enjoys a twist on an old classic – when Shapes announced their Vegemite-flavoured crackers, she placed a pre-order at Coles.
- When Friday night rolls around, she feels restless and ready for fun – but nothing too outrageous. Tapas and tenpin will do… She’s got yoga in the morning.
- Her decor is a balance of nostalgia and modern influences – her grandparents’ wedding photos rest proudly atop a MALSJÖ flat-packed IKEA cabinet.
- She appreciates innovation, but she’s a creature of habit – when her Honda Jazz bites the dust, she’ll upgrade to a newer model and throw in some snazzy extras.
- She’s got more LBDs than the 2018 Golden Globes Awards – but her shoe collection is where the magic happens.
Halo Engagement Rings
Emerging in the 1920s, the heavenly halo engagement ring dazzles with the kind of luminance only a cluster of crystals can achieve.
The principal diamond takes centre stage, surrounded by an assembly of smaller gemstones shining in unison to radiate light in every direction.
- She’s the ‘hostess with the mostess’ and enjoys entertaining family and friends – when she goes to parties, she steps into the spotlight and draws a crowd.
- She makes the most of her downtime and enrols in extracurricular activities like dance lessons and life drawing – it’s usually her organising weekend camping trips and getaways with friends.
- Her decor is extra – everything in your home shines, sparkles, jingles, rotates, automates or makes noise.
- Her car has all the bells and whistles – from heated seats and backup assist, to keyless entry and leather air vents… She took all the shiny upgrades available.
- She rocks prints and patterns year-round and doesn’t leave the house without earrings – you never know who you’ll run into.
Three-Stone Engagement Rings
Commonly understood to represent the past, the present and the future, three-stone engagement rings are also believed to embody the friendship, love and fidelity between you and your partner.
Otherwise known as trilogy or trinity rings, the larger centre diamond is raised for emphasis and flanked by two smaller stones. Emerald Cut or Princess Cut diamonds can also be used instead of round to create a vintage appeal, and supplementary gems can feature on the band for additional lustre.
Signs a Three-Stone Engagement Ring is Right For Her…
- Everybody knows she gives the best presents – they are thoughtful and befitting… Gift cards and cash are so lame.
- She appreciates poetry and hides tears reading romance novels – every time she watches The Notebook, she crumbles like a Cadbury Flake.
- Last count there were 23 photos of you and her on the fridge – you’re her screensaver, her home screen and her emergency contact on all medical forms.
- The rear view in her car is obstructed by plush toys, and seat covers keep it in peak condition for the next owner – it’s got nothing to do with resale value.
- When she goes on holidays she takes her entire wardrobe – every outfit needs to be carefully considered in the moment… She can’t possibly plan fourteen days in advance.
Modern Engagement Rings
As the name suggests, modern engagement rings are anything but traditional or plain. Where there are no rules, there is no limitation to the designer’s imagination. The diamond cut, set, fitting and mounting borrow elements from other categories to create a breathtaking masterpiece that commands attention wherever it goes.
The abundance of diamonds and design intricacy are reflected in the premium price range, but there’s no denying the show-stopping brilliance of a modern engagement ring.
Signs a Modern Engagement Ring is Right For Her…
- She’s a fast learner and rises quickly through the ranks – she’s entrepreneurial by nature and may one day own her own business (if she doesn’t already).
- She’s confident, outgoing and fearless when it comes to travel – she hasn’t been everywhere, but it’s on her list!
- She’s busy hustling and prefers to outsource domestic chores – she’s got a cleaner, dog groomer, on-call makeup artist and freelance hairdresser.
- When she rolls up to the lights top-down pumping Beyonce, she doesn’t kill the volume – Queen B deserves to be heard. And so does she.
- She appreciates fine design and isn’t afraid to pay for quality – Louis, Gianni, Marc and Mario are never far from her thoughts.
About the author SH Jewellery: As an independent jeweller, the SH Jewellery collection is exclusive to our brand, allowing us full creative freedom over the look and feel of our engagement rings and wedding bands. All our rings are designed in-house at our Springvale showroom, combining decades of design history with modern influences from across the globe.
If you’d like to know more about the ring styles mentioned in the article above, go ahead and click on the following links: solitaire rings, timeless rings, halo rings, three stone rings and modern rings. Happy ring shopping!