As we celebrate a month-long Byron Bay mood, we have to acknowledge, one of the best parts about Byron Bay? The food! And so, we had to pay homage to one of the most delicious restaurants that is always a must-visit for holiday moments, Chupa Cabra!
Today we’re making our take on their famous frozen passionfruit margarita.
If there is anything that says long lazy summer days, then it’s got to be this cocktail. The tartness of the passionfruit, the kick of the tequila both combining with crushed ice. The deliciousness only intensifying as the ice slowly melts. Add a salt rim, a dash of lime and you’re immediately not stuck at home, you’re transported to cocktail hour, on a Friday afternoon with tacos at the ready!
- One cup of Ice (depending on the number of cocktails you need to make. I like one cup of ice per cocktail)
- 30ml Tequila
- 30ml passionfruit juice (two or three fresh passionfruit) or two tins of tinned passionfruit
- 30 ml lime juice
- 30ml sugar syrup
- Lime wedge
- A pinch of salt
Firstly, if you don’t already have sugar syrup on hand, you’ll need to make it. It’s a simple one to one ratio, where you’ll need to measure one cup of sugar to one cup of water and dissolve together while stirring over low heat in a saucepan. Once it’s combined, leave to cool. You can store this in the fridge for a week.
- When you’re ready to make your cocktail, strain the passionfruit through a sieve to separate the seeds and juice
- In a blender, add tequila, salt, lime juice, passionfruit juice and sugar syrup and blend well. Add ice and blend until ice is crushed and ingredients well combined.
- Pour into your glass (with a salted rim if you prefer!) and garnish with a lime wedge and extra passionfruit pulp.