Image: Shannyn Higgins
We love this crispy skin saltbush chicken dish and so do our guests! The saltbush adds a soft, salty flavour and is slightly earthy – mixed in with the spices, this really packs a punch!
Image: Shannyn Higgins
Crispy skin chicken fillet, saltbush spiced rub, tarragon, creamy mushroom jus
¼ cup dried salt bush
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
500g chicken breast
Large handful tarragon
Creamy mushroom sauce
2 tbsp unsalted butter
½ tbsp olive oil
400g button mushrooms
Pinch of salt and pepper
2 garlic gloves
¼ cup white wine
½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup heavy thickened cream
½ cup parmesan
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
Radishes – garnish
- Use a mortar and pestle or spice grinder to grind up the salt bush. Combine in a bowl with the cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, thyme, 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and half the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken breasts on both sides. Marinate in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Add the remainder of the olive oil to a pan and ensure it is piping hot.
Once the pan is hot, add the chicken breasts skin-side-down. Cook for 6-8 minutes on one side & then flip and cook for 4 minutes.
- Once the chicken breasts are seared and crispy, place them on a tray and into a preheated 350 degree oven to roast for a quick 15-20 minutes to finish cooking.
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Heat oil and melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown – approx. 4 to 5 minutes.
- Just before they are done, add the garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until garlic is golden.
- Add the white wine – it will sizzle! Stir, scraping the bottom of the skillet, for 1 minute or until mostly evaporated.
- Add stock, cream and parmesan. Stir, then lower heat to medium so the sauce is simmering – do not boil rapidly, cream may split.
- Stir occasionally and simmer for 2-3 minutes until it thickens. It shouldn’t be super thick, this is a rich sauce.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Remove from stove.
- Coat chicken well with the mushroom sauce
- Remove the tarragon leaves from its stem and roughly chop.
- Saute tarragon with a touch of olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add tarragon to chicken as a garnish, along with some thinly sliced radishes.
Eat and enjoy!
About Refresh Hospitality: At Refresh Hospitality we are all about creating experiences. We specialise in event management and catering and will go above and beyond to ensure your big day is perfect! We can involved as little or as much as you like. Let us take the reins with exceptional service, fresh, delicious and local produce and competitive pricing. We offer a range of menu options from cocktail events to plated menus and shared dining experiences. All of our packages are flexible, we believe in tailoring a food and beverage package to suit your requirements rather than simply choosing from a set package. We work alongside some of the best industry professionals to ensure your day is stress-free, enjoyable and delicious from the first canapé to your last drink! Want to visit our venues? See Two Ton Max and The Ivory Elsternwick.