I have lots of fun ideas for Polka Dot Made (in fact today I’m working on a project I’ll be able to share with you very soon!) but I’m thinking of all the things I love to know – essential items in DIY is one of them! So I’ll be asking some amazing crafters what their essential items are over the coming months.
Mine? After desperately seeking a solution to a rather drab craft store close to where I live, I stumbled across a freshly built Spotlight store and inside? Well it was like all my dreams had come true!
This store has buttons, beads, fabrics and papers and everything my little crafting heart desired! It also had a glorious range of Martha Stewart products. This of course made me incredibly happy seeing as I’d only spied the gorgeous range on US blogs (such as one of my favourites Such Pretty Things).
As life goes, the coincidence was I’d also been watching Martha’s short snippets and catching up on the daily show that had just started airing on television and she’d often pull out her trusty product to get her project just so! So there it was in the store and I grabbed it, not really knowing why but just knowing I’d love it.
The bone folder.
Why does one need a bone folder? Well you see apart from the nifty little case it comes in, this bone folder? It’s become my essential item! I send out a lot of mail, I write a lot of cards, I do a lot of craft projects and this bone folder has made everything so much easier. Clean crisp folds, every. single. time.
Why not use a ruler? Well I was! But you see, in a hurry, that ruler likes to do it’s own thing, it’s not always happy to create a clean, neat fold, it has to slip slide away and create a crinkly one….which just don’t do! The bone folder? it’s shaped for the hand, it’s shaped to get the best fold and it’s a little treat to use. Aside from that you can score, smooth or burnish paper too!
So this is my essential item, the one I can’t live without. I want to know yours!
Did you love the gorgeous book style wedding invitations Lyndsay from It’s A Date Event Design created this morning on Polka Dot Bride? Well here’s her free scrabble letter download so you can print them out and have some fun with a classic favourite board game! Click here to download the free PDF.
Stuck on how to use them? Here’s some ideas
- Print them out and stick onto favors as place cards
- Jazz up your invitations
- Print them out and stick onto wrapped blocks of chocolate for a delicious treat
- Print onto edible rice paper and stick onto cakes for a wordsmith couple
- Print and cut dozens of sets out as a backdrop to a photobooth
- Use the letters and create signs for your lolly buffet
- Spell out your table names in the letters and place in a frame on each table
- Print out the guest’s initial on heavy card and tie with baker’s twine or brown string around their napkin and a fun napkin ring
- Create a non floral boutonniere for the groom!