Alexis and Dave – The Celebration

by | Bride, Inspired Weddings,

COMMENTS

Today is the day of Alexis and Dave! I’ve shared how they met and the gorgeous preparations (captured by Mary Claire Crow) and now it’s time for the big moment!

Dave was escorted down the aisle by his sister

While Alexis was escorted by her father to the string quartet playing the song that Dave wrote for Alexis while they were dating. All organised as a surprise!

Dave and Alexis involved their guests by asking them to join in a commitment prayer.

Alexis credits her wedding planner Marcia Husband who let her buck tradition and let Alexis’ perfectionist side through!

After the ceremony, a champagne toast was given by the bride’s father.

Before the couple slipped away…

…for a private dinner on the front porch of the restaurant! The couple asked the venue to cook up their favourite dishes and dined (complete with a “Do Not Disturb” sign) alone for their first meal as a married couple.

Guests celebrated inside and mingled while feasting.

Instead of a sit-down dinner, Alexis and Dave served hor d’oeuvres like crab cakes and cups of shrimp & grits, and then had large trays of local artisan cheeses, meats, fruits, and vegetables spread throughout the venue.

With food and wine being so important to Alexis and Dave, they had guests sign a double-magnum bottle of wine with silver paint pens instead of a guest book – they plan to open the bottle on their 20th anniversary.

Instead of an open bar, Alexis and her dad picked out six of their favourite wines for guests to choose from, They also served kegs from Yazoo -their favorite local brewery.

Alexis’ dance with her father

Alexis and Dave hired Billy Lloyd and acclaimed drummer Craig Krampf (drummer in  “Eye Of The Tiger”) Otherwise known as Uncle Bill & Uncle Craig in the Paulson family to get their guests on the dance floor.  Alexis and Dave chose classic favourites – mostly ‘60s British invasion songs by The Beatles, The Kinks and The Zombies

The couple stepped on the dance floor for their first dance and rarely left!

Skipping the cake tradition, Alexis and Dave opted for their favourite treat- gelato! They got large, delicious servings from Pied Piper Creamery

The celebration continued most of the night- even the groom got up and sang a tune or two!

Everyone agreed that the night was “Sooo Dave & Alexis.”

One of the favourite parts of the day for Alexis was leaving the reception in her parent’s next door neighbour’s vintage and beautifully restored antique Ford.

Congratulations Alexis and Dave and thank you for sharing your wedding with Polka Dot Bride! Thank you also to Mary Claire Crow Lifestyle Family Photographer for allowing me to share the gorgeous photos on the blog today!

COMMENTS
  • Sugar and Spice Event Design
    Sugar and Spice Event Design says:
    December 3, 2008 at 4:35 pm

here dress is absolutely stunning!

• Jenna says:
    December 3, 2008 at 5:35 pm

I love the dress as well. I wanted pleats/ruffles on the bottom of my wedding dress so bad!

I also think you might get some people reacting by thinking “oh how terrible of them to have dinner without their guests”. I think it was lovely, and I don’t think your day has to be all about your guests. You can find moments to make it about the two of you as well.

• Polkadot Bride
    Polkadot Bride says:
    December 3, 2008 at 5:40 pm

I agree Jenna (ahh obviously I had trouble picking favourite photos from the amount of them!)

But yes I agree- I believe lexis and Dave didn’t leave the venue – so they didn’t have the “take an hour and have bridal party photos” so if they spent half an hour having dinner I don’t think it’s different in being away from your guests and its wonderfully special!

• saundra, event engineer says:
    December 4, 2008 at 2:24 am

omigosh. That is the most BEAUTIFUL dress I have seen in a long time. What an AWESOME wedding.

Good call on the dance floor as the aisle “runner”. We do that too!

• Kat
    Kat says:
    December 4, 2008 at 9:34 am

I have to admit, I’m not a huge fan of the dinner-away-from-guests thing – I’m looking forward to spending time with our guests during dinner – but I absolutely love the wine-as-guestbook idea. We’re getting married at a winery so I think I’ll do the same!

• Tim Halberg says:
    December 4, 2008 at 12:17 pm

what a fun and beautiful wedding, and great photography!

• alexis
    alexis says:
    December 5, 2008 at 10:04 am

Thanks for all of the sweet comments! I am a big fan of the blog!
    Some people were asking about the attire…
    My dress was Alvina Valenta (in rum pink)
    The suits were from Target (only $80 and the guys could keep it and wear it again!!!)
    The bridesmaid dresses were Simple Silhouettes.

• Bonnie
    Bonnie says:
    December 5, 2008 at 10:45 pm

I have had such a hard time including and mixing traditional/fun, guests/just us, and all of the millions of things across many genres we both love in our upcoming wedding (March 09).

I adore how Alexis and Dave managed to keep things a bit quirky but still absolutely stunning and full of sophistication. What a success!

Congratulations. I love it all. I’m so impressed and inspired.

• Elizabeth
    Elizabeth says:
    December 7, 2008 at 8:35 am

I absolutely love the idea of the intimate dinner for the new husband and wife! What a great moment that was captured there.

8 + 7 =