Yolanda and Ben’s DIY Projects

by | Bride, DIY, Stationery And Paper Goods

COMMENTS

yolanda and ben DIY project011 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

One of the things I love most as a blogger is interacting with brides and hearing about your projects and plans. (clearly so much, that this post may have popped up a little earlier than we meant it to!)

We’ll be featuring Yolanda and Ben’s gorgeous wedding on Polka Dot Bride soon (remember their stunning engagement photos?), but first, I wanted to  share with you their gorgeous DIY projects they they created for their wedding day.

Above Yolanda’s work desk sits a canvas of two birds and trees, created by friend Daniel Yegorov of Design Collision , it was an engagement gift and used on the couple’s engagement party invitations.

yolanda and ben DIY project001 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project002 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

Yolanda and Ben were inspired by a Hallmark card they received for their engagement. They adapted the idea of a red heart with a dictionary style definition of love and designed the invitations themselves (with the help of good friend Daniel Yegorov of Design Collision. They were printed and then cut by Yolanda using a paper trimmer and corner punk. Each envelope was printed with a bird from a stamp Yolanda found on Stamp-It.

yolanda and ben DIY project003 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project004 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project006 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project012 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project013 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project014 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

Printed lolly bags from Poppies For Grace

yolanda and ben DIY project007 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project008 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project009 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project010 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project015 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

Yolanda found the idea to use matchboxes as wedding favors on a wedding site. She designed them herself using “Perfect Pair” stickers from Prior Engagement and covering the boxes in paper from Fiskars.

yolanda and ben DIY project016 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project017 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

yolanda and ben DIY project019 Yolanda and Bens DIY Projects

Thank you to Yolanda for sharing your gorgeous DIY invitations with us here on Polka Dot Bride! Please do email your DIY projects to mspolka (at) polkadotbride (dot) com We’d love to see what you’ve come up with!

COMMENTS
  • Desert Bride
    Desert Bride says:
    January 26, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Loved the invitations, was thinking of DIY invitations myself. Did she print them out at home, what type of printing was it and paper..Thanks

• Deb says:
    January 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm

This is brilliant! And the bells business it is hilarious, I want to do the same for my wedding invitations…can I?! xo

• Stephanie
    Stephanie says:
    January 29, 2010 at 12:36 am

I love the favors! She did a great job!

• Tweets that mention Yolanda and Ben’s DIY Projects | Polka Dot Bride -- Topsy.com
    Tweets that mention Yolanda and Ben’s DIY Projects | Polka Dot Bride -- Topsy.com says:
    January 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by polkadotbride and Karen Vance, Kerryn Atkinson. Kerryn Atkinson said: Polka Dot Bride Yolanda and Ben’s DIY Projects http://tinyurl.com/yezhcbo [...]

• Jane
    Jane says:
    January 30, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Please please tell me where you got the polka dot ribbons from? I want them for my wedding!

• anna
    anna says:
    January 31, 2010 at 9:01 am

hi there,
    i am wondering where you got the paper from for your invitations! i love it! did you have any trouble printing on to what looks like quite thick paper?

thanks
    anna

• Lauren F
    Lauren F says:
    January 31, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I desperately would like to know where she got the paper from. It is GORGEOUS. I have me design all done for my invitations and RSVP and that paper would be PERFECT!!! I have been on google looking for about an hour. PLEASE PLEASE let me know!!!

xo

• Polkadot Bride
      Polkadot Bride says:
      January 31, 2010 at 5:50 pm

So many paper lovers! I have asked Yolanda and will post her response as soon as possible!

• Yolanda
    Yolanda says:
    February 8, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hi everyone, answers as requested!

Desert Bride, the printer used was a Canon IRC2880 (workgroup class colour laser), but Daniel said you should be able to get similar results from any normal colour laser printer. We had some trouble with the red heart on the textured papers, with the ink smearing as it didn’t dry in the grooves. We overcame this by overprinting quantities so we had enough clean prints. To keep cost and labour down though, a non-textured paper would be best.

Deb, of course you can! We got the idea for the bells from another rsvp ourselves, so we’re more than happy to share the idea and the joy :)

Stephanie, thanks!

Jane, i got the ribbon from scrapbooking store Stamp-it in Vic Park, Perth, WA. Scrapbooking stores are good for ribbon, but so is Spotlight.

Anna & Lauren, the papers ranged from 200-220gsm and we didn’t have any problems in the printer. They weren’t as thick as we might have liked, but any heavier would have caused problems.

The papers were all A4 regular stock from Jackson’s Art Supplies. They are a WA company, but do have an online store (www.jacksons.com.au). If you want to call, the Northbridge store (08 9328 8880) is the one that carries the papers I used. Note, there is a 3 hour summer time difference, so 9am est is 6am in Perth :(

The specific papers used were called Pinstripe White (for the invitation), Natural Bark (for the rsvp – i think!), Speckletone (great because it was non-textured, so good for printing, but the flecks gave it a textured, recycled look) and Momishibo.

I would recommend any art supply (rather than invitation) store for these types of papers. None of the stores specialising in wedding invitations that I went to in Perth had papers like these.

Hope this helps with your own projects :)

All the best girls!

xx

• Yolanda and Ben – The Celebration | Polka Dot Bride
    Yolanda and Ben – The Celebration | Polka Dot Bride says:
    February 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm

[...] Yolanda and Ben created their own lolly station for guests (including their lolly bags from Poppies For Grace and homemade ones) [...]

• Linh
      Linh says:
      November 13, 2011 at 12:17 am

Do you know how she made the the homemade lolly bags? I would love to make some.

Thanks
      Linh

• Rachael
    Rachael says:
    March 9, 2010 at 8:44 am

Yolanda – how much (ballpark figure) do you think it cost you all up to do your own stationary? I’ve had quotes from design firms and they’re all around the $850-1000 mark. I know how to use InDesign and Photoshop pretty well (not enough to be a professional graphic designer, but I can work most things out!), so I’m thinking it might be cheaper for me to copy your design [if you don't mind, of course!] and do the rest myself.

Also, what do you/Daniel mean by overprinting quantities? If I take it to a commercial printer to just do the printing, will they be able to get the heart looking ok without me telling them about the overprinting?

Thanks :)

Rachael xx

• Rachael
    Rachael says:
    March 9, 2010 at 7:45 pm

One more question – what font did you use??

Thanks :)

Rachael

• Yolanda and Ben | Polka Dot Bride
    Yolanda and Ben | Polka Dot Bride says:
    June 24, 2010 at 2:54 pm

[...] We’ve seen their engagement pictures, had a sneak peek at their DIY projects and today, I can finally share with you the wedding photos of Yolanda and [...]

• tresor paris jewellery
    tresor paris jewellery says:
    April 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm

People are always looking for unusual gifts to give their loved ones. Even now, tresor paris jewellery are very popular among lovers, The tresor paris necklace can also have imprints of a childs scribbles, art drawn by your preschooler or even a name with the tresor paris. Often used for lariat style cheap tresor paris necklaces, tresor paris bracelets, this allows you to connect the clasp and end of a tresor paris bracelet all at once.

• DIY Wedding Projects | About Marriage