What A Gem!

by | Bride, Jewellery

COMMENTS

The Desire To Inspire girls introduced me to the loveliness that is photographer Nicole Hill. The photos of multi coloured rings, like transparent lollies enchanted me.

The biggest myth in wedding jewelry is that your engagement ring has to be a diamond – and a white one at that! I love the endless options for brides wanting something a little different.

Coloured diamonds in pink and yellow are always fun but a beautifully cut sapphire, ruby or emerald can look amazing.

Amethyst, opal, citrine, topaz, garnet, aquamarine, peridots. The colours and choices are endless and there is no limit to the creative ring you might decide on.

If you can’t let go of featuring a diamond all together, consider accenting your centre stone with diamonds or including them in your wedding ring.

Photo by Nicole Hill.

COMMENTS
  • Mary says:
    June 4, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I have sapphires in my engagement ring. Diamonds have never really appealed to me, even though it my birthstone.
    I’ve had alot of reactions to my ring (mostly from his side of the family) saying “why don’t you have a diamond?” but i think my sapphires are stunning. I love my engagement ring

• Bonnie- amour amour says:
    June 4, 2009 at 5:09 pm

oh wow! I am literally swooning over those rings and it is hard to pick a favourite, sapphires have always been a favourite of mine, so elegant.

• anna says:
    June 4, 2009 at 6:08 pm

I never thought I would want a coloured stone. I dreamt of a huge emerald cut diamond. Then my boy proposed with his mother’s sapphire engagement ring. It was just so perfect. I couldn’t wish for anything more.

• juel says:
    June 4, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I love my aquamarine ring and I love seeing other people’s non-diamond rings, I think they are so pretty and so personal.

• Kristel says:
    June 4, 2009 at 11:12 pm

My engagement ring was a pearl ring and I absolutely love it!! I wanted something different and I love pearls, so my hubby chose wisely. 🙂

• Michele says:
    June 5, 2009 at 5:09 am

What a gem? What a find!!!! Wow – this is an incredibly visual candy post! I want, I want – but which one? 🙂

• Barnyard Chic Bride says:
    June 5, 2009 at 6:50 am

My engagement ring consists of a brilliant cut blue sapphire center stone surrounded by tons of tiny white sapphires, and I absolutely love it. I’m glad this trend is taking off. I recently saw a beautiful Peridot engagement ring. Although diamonds are gorgeous, they are somewhat boring in my opinion.

• emma - elki design says:
    June 5, 2009 at 9:27 am

My engagement ring is a beautiful oval Sapphire and 10 round diamonds around it. My lovely fiance designed it and got it made (in secret) before we went to Paris. Its exactly what I had imagined for an engagement ring and I love wearing it. Its classic, yet very me and everyone comments on how lovely it is, because its individual and different. Nothing worse than going to weddings and every bride has the same ring design!

• claire says:
    June 5, 2009 at 9:42 am

ooooohhh so perrrddy! Love them all!

• Brooke says:
    June 5, 2009 at 6:01 pm

My engagement ring is a coushin cut ceylon sapphire set in white gold. It has 3 small diamonds on each side. It is stunning. I constantly get comments on the design and colour. Everyone says how it suits me to a tea. He picked well. I love it so much I am looking at getting some earrings made to match.

• Accidental Housewife says:
    June 6, 2009 at 7:41 am

I really like the idea of the strength of diamonds, and what they represent in terms of a marriage, so my engagement ring is diamonds. BUT, my wedding band is a non-matching triple band of diamonds and almost-black sapphires. I love how much personality it adds to the set, and it feels so much more “me” and less like costume jewelry. (Also, my parents, maid of honour/sister, and my daughter all have sapphire as their birthstone, so it was extra meaningful.)