This Old Love

by | Blog News, Bride

COMMENTS

I wanted to share something completely different this morning. Something, that although we haven’t shared anything similar before, is relevant to a wedding blog. Photographer Sandra Henri shared these very special photographs of her grandparents who this year, will celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary.

I suppose it touched me because this is what we build by having a wedding, A relationship that stands the test of time, that exists when our grandchildren arrive, that love, that is still as strong as it was on the day we married, showing so clearly sixty years later. A life built together.

Sandra’s grandmother tells their story (in German, Sandra so kindly translated it for us). John and Karla are known by their family as Oma and Opa.

“We met in 1944 in the school holidays as children. Opa was 12 and I was 13 years old. We got along well right from the start. Due to our house being bombed we needed to find somewhere to live, and so moved to East Germany upstairs from Opa’s apartment for 6 months. After the war ended we moved back to West Germany and didn’t see each other for several years. When Opa was a bit older he asked an aunt “which girl should I marry?”. She answered straight away “the only girl for you is Karla”.

“Then at 18 years old Opa managed to move to West Germany too and we met up again. One day we were cleaning up a garden shed for a gentleman we knew and when we’d finished the job we sat together on the garden bench to have a rest and have some grape juice. Opa put his arm around me and asked “would you like to become my wife?”. I answered “yes, but how will we let my mother know?” (as she was not overly happy that as the youngest in the family, I would be the first to marry!). We already got along well as children and realised more and more that we were inseparable. That’s how we got together!”

“On 7.3.52 we were married, I was 21 and Opa was 20. We have been through highs and lows together, which brought us even closer. Both of us kept our own personality throughout our marriage. We accept and respect each other the way we are without trying to change each other. We appreciate each other more and more as we get older and that is like heaven on earth for us. Our faith has also helped us a lot in our marriage, and we’ve experienced His help many times. We’ve been married 60 years and hope we can be together a lot longer.”

COMMENTS
  • Ms Stripey says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love this story – very inspirational!

• Marley says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

What a beautiful story and clearly still so in love after all those years together – exactly how it should be 🙂

• Fiona says:
    April 19, 2012 at 10:34 am

Perfect:)

• Shannon says:
    April 19, 2012 at 10:49 am

I love these images, I wish I had something similar done while all my grandparents were still with us! Beautiful work.

• Laura says:
    April 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

Totally just had tears in my eyes reading this beautiful story. Having my own wedding only 3.5 weeks ago, this is such an inspiration. Love this story!! x

• Rebecca says:
    April 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

My definition of love was watching my grandfather kiss my grandmother on the lips while she was on oxygen 24 hours/day as she had lung cancer. You could see the love in their eyes… I only hope that my marriage will continue to develop and grow the way theirs did…
    A beautiful story – you can just see the LOVE!!

• Ms Gingham says:
    April 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

What can I say that everyone’s comments haven’t covered already except I can only hope that we’re all lucky enough to experience this in our marriages. Thanks so much for sharing this Ms P.

• alycia says:
    April 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Definitely my favourite story that’s ever been posted. The pictures are beautiful and the love you can see they still have for another is so lovely.

• Ms Paisley says:
    April 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Love. Thank you for posting.

• Tigs says:
    April 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Such a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing. Just love the last pic of their wedding day 🙂

• Featured on Polka Dot Bride! | Central Coast wedding photographers Sydney Hunter Valley » Family Photographer Central Coast, Wedding Photographer Central Coast » Sandra Henri Photography says:
    April 19, 2012 at 6:03 pm

[…] 60th wedding anniversary shoot is icing on the cake! You can see the full feature here, including the story of how they […]

• Sandra Henri says:
    April 19, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Thank-you so so much for the feature! I just love how you’ve woven my grandparents story in with the photos! Such an honour to be featured on your gorgeous blog and thanks for sharing photos that are so meaningful to me.

• 60 years on | Central Coast lifestyle photographer » Family Photographer Central Coast, Wedding Photographer Central Coast » Sandra Henri Photography says:
    April 19, 2012 at 9:13 pm

[…] big thanks to Polka Dot Bride for featuring this shoot! You’ll see the story of how my grandparents met there […]

• Snippets, Whispers & Ribbons #15 says:
    April 20, 2012 at 8:01 pm

[…] Lumsdaine who would have celebrated with her husband, her 90th Wedding Anniversary this month, This Old Love is a beautifully poignant reminder, from Polka Dot Bride, of what all this wedding planning […]