Winter has always been a favourite time of year for me when it comes to weddings, for so many reasons. Importantly for brides though, it’s the time of the year when are better able to pick the best of the venues as there is less demand. In peak season, wedding venues all book up so quickly – but in winter, you’ll have more choice. Remember though if you’re looking at venues on a warm summer’s day, try to think what it will be like in winter; you may need to find a space for stunning indoor ceremonies with plenty of options for photographs by the fire!
Here are my Ten Reasons to love Winter Weddings:
- You’ll probably be getting a better deal with your venue in winter, which allows you the flexibility to invite more guests at your wedding rather than having to limit numbers to fit your budget.
- Use the season to your advantage; scarves and gloves are wonderful favours for guests as well as being useful; they’ll be used every year, with your guests remembering you both and your special day.
- Have lots of umbrellas ready and create some unique wedding photos. As long as you enjoy your day, your wedding photos will be beautiful – no matter what the weather.
- Dress up your wardrobe; your groom will be comfortable in a warm three- piece suit whilst the bridesmaids can add layers with shawls and faux furs. Have some fun with your dress too – pull on some gumboots for photographs; they are a practical way of getting around outdoors and will ensure your wedding shoes are still in perfect condition for your reception.
- Experiment with colour. Any theming choice for your reception works in winter – so go bold with a pop of red or choose classic black and white. Pastels are still soft and romantic.
- Candles, candles, candles! There is nothing more romantic than candles….they add warmth and set the mood for your reception also.
- Natural winter light sets the scene for beautiful photo opportunities during your ceremony and reception. Remember, having your family photos during the reception or even before the ceremony will save time with the natural light for your all-important bridal photos.
- Enjoy comfort food and warmed drinks such as mulled wine, hot chocolate and Baileys!
- Let your wedding dictate your honeymoon destination – go somewhere warm and sunny with a bikini and a hat after your winter ceremony!
- Christmas and summer holiday plans are miles away! Know that you’ll have higher acceptance of guests, as you are giving them something to look forward to in the middle of the year!
Ms Chinoiserie Says: Thanks Katrina – now I know why I love winter weddings too – definitely for the mulled wine and hot chocolate! Yum!
About Katrina Reynolds: With experience running wedding venues in Victoria’s Yarra Valley and now as General Manager at Yarra Valley Estate, I have seen brides enjoy this part of Victoria through all the seasons. With cooler temperatures and crisp air, winter is definitely my favourite season!