Congratulations, you’ve made the decision to go with a live band for your wedding day! Not only will a live band provide an infectious energy, they’ll take song requests, interact with the audience and will do everything to ensure that you and your guests have a night you will never forget!
Not only that, live entertainment can dedicate songs to special people in the audience, bringing an excellent combination of warmth, energy, and just a bit of traditionalism to ensure everyone has a good time. The energy of the band members can also bring about a positive change in people, such as encourage guests to get up and get dancing! This is because they are there to perform and can be seen, not just heard. They’re up there to entertain everyone. They show it in their bodies, their movements, attire, equipment and props.
So how do you pick the right live band to play at your wedding? Here are some good points to consider:
1.What genres are you interested in? Think of what kind of audience they’ll have, the space, location, and theme of your wedding and reception. The music should be an accommodating sound that amplifies the good vibes and romance that is filling the air.
2. What is their practiced repertoire? Do you have certain songs you’d like them to play? Do they have enough time to rehearse these songs? If you have any specific songs in mind for your wedding but aren’t sure your band can play them, go ahead and ask! If you give them enough notice they are likely to be able to learn them for your big day.
3. Have you heard them play before? It’s best to ask for a sample of their music so you can get a feel of their sound to see if they will work well with the audience and what you want.
4. What do you need them to play for? Is it just the wedding, or also the reception?
5. How long can you book them for? Do they have another event that same day that may interfere or hinder their performance for your wedding?
6. How much equipment will they bring? What is the space needed to fit this equipment? Do you have enough space to accommodate it all? Have they practiced in the space allocated to them?
7. Will they also MC the reception? Are they willing to MC? Do they have MC experience? Do they have the right humour, professionalism, and charisma that you’re looking for in an MC to keep your wedding entertaining?
8. Will you be hiring one live band, or a couple on rotation?
Once you have picked the right live band for you, start thinking of the songs you would like played throughout your big day and start writing them down so you don’t forget! Closer to the wedding you will be asked to create a schedule or a running order for you day (your event or venue planner will likely be able to help you with this). Once complete, ensure you get a copy over to your band members so they can clearly see how the day is planned to unfold.
At the end of the day, booking a band is one of the best decisions you can make for your wedding. Just ensure that you follow the steps above and preferably see the band live before you book; you can then enjoy watching your guests dance until their feet hurt on your big day!
Images via Funkified Entertainment
Ms Chinoiserie Says: Really helpful advice to ensure you book the band that’s right for your wedding; seeing the band before you book is an absolute must!
About Funkified Entertainment: Your wedding is a once in a lifetime event, so naturally you want everything to be perfect. When it comes to finding the right music for your special day, Funkified Entertainment can take care of everything, eliminating the stress so you can simply enjoy the celebration. Whether you want people on their feet dancing, laid back grooves, or sophisticated strings, we can match you and your partner with the perfect wedding entertainment.