It’s a tough task coming up with delicious cocktails every month, but someone has to do it and I certainly had fun playing with all kinds of coloured treats for this month’s Colour Issue fun! Today, I wanted to hark back to that favourite childhood chocolate and the most colourful – the humble chocolate freckle!
I remember chocolate freckles always being in the bags of mixed lollies, right alongside my favourite, milk bottles. Freckles were never my absolute favourite, but absolutely always a necessity! Today’s cocktail plays on the childhood fun, it’s chocolate and delicious, but a little whimsical with the addition of a sprinkle laden rim.
- 60ml Full Cream Milk
- 20ml Cream De Cacao
- 10ml Irish Cream Liqueur
- 20ml Pouring Cream
- One scoop vanilla ice cream (substitute this for chocolate ice cream if you’re up for a “death by chocolate” kind of drink)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dutch cocoa powder
- Chocolate syrup
- Hundreds and thousands or other sprinkles
- Lemon juice or honey
- Shaved Chocolate or Flake chocolate bar
- To rim your glass, carefully paint on a thin line of honey on the rim of your glass, or run a lemon wedge around the edge. Dip the glass into a bowl or container or sprinkles or hundreds and thousands to rim the glass
- Add a little chocolate touch by squeezing 10 or so mls of chocolate sauce into your glass and turning the glass upside down so the glass base is coated in chocolate. You could also use melted chocolate for this step!
- In a blender, combine milk, cream de cacao, pouring cream, Dutch cocoa and icecream.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass
- Top with flaked chocolate or a broken up ‘flake’ chocolate bar.