It’s not at all uncommon for couples to have children before marriage. Having your own children at your wedding and them being present to witness their parents get married can be very special. However, if you would rather have a wedding with just the two of you, and leave the children at home, this is also fine! There is no right or wrong. This is the day where you as a couple make your promises to one another, to be together forever through better or worse. The day can be whatever the two of you want it to be.
If you do have children attend though, having a nanny who is dedicated to providing care for them can positively impact your wedding. Your children will be safe, happy and fed. You will feel more relaxed and your family can also be present for the day.
What a nanny can do for you…
- A nanny can assist you while you are getting ready. Often brides and grooms don’t feel this is necessary but it is one of the only regrets I hear afterwards – “I wish we booked you earlier in the day to help!”. The hours before the wedding go so fast. You and your bridal party need to have your hair and make up done, sometimes there are last minute phone calls from vendors and family, and little last minute emergencies that you need to attend to. Your children may need to nap, and will need to be fed and entertained. Juggling all of this can be stressful, and you want some magical photos without children climbing all over you with their food-covered hands! Having a nanny means this is one less thing you need to worry about.
- A nanny can provide transport. Often your group are getting ready off-site. If the adults would like to have a few drinks, who is going to drive the children? A nanny can transport them in their car or yours. They can also drive them to multiple locations or back home/to accommodation and put them to bed when their part of the day is over or when they are tired.
- A nanny will keep the children occupied during the ceremony. Even a short ceremony is a long time for a child to sit still. Little children can see their parents and want a cuddle. A nanny can bring some quiet activities to keep them busy or go for a walk nearby so that the ceremony is about the bride and groom. No children stealing the limelight.
- A nanny can help you get some beautiful family photos. They can follow you around to get those perfect family shots, as an experienced nanny knows all the tricks to get children to cooperate.
- The most important thing – a nanny will keep your children safe. They will provide constant supervision. A lot of venues are on large properties, some have bodies of water. They are the children’s dedicated carer and will know where they are at all times.
- Your child’s needs will be met, and your child will be able to sleep if needed. A nanny can do all the nappy changes, feed them snacks, and keep them clean. They will also provide some fun and entertainment.
Images: Sigrid Petersen Photography
As a parent and a fellow mummy bride, I know that having a nanny on your wedding day will be your best investment. Nannies costs less than a photobooth hire, bonbonniere, and other add-on services. Include one in your budget. You won’t regret it!
About Melissa Dowden: Melissa is a mummy to two boys and a career nanny. Four years ago, after the birth of her first child, she saw the lack of childcare options for people attending weddings and events. She is now the owner of Event Nannies. Event Nannies offers a range of childcare options including wedding nannies, activity zones and babysitting.